PLASTIC SURGERY GETTING A LIFT OF ITS OWN
Annual statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) have shown a dramatic increase in the number of patients undergoing ‘lift’ surgery. Patients undergoing the ‘lift’ surgeries aim to improve their bodies contour and to remove excess sagging skin following dramatic weight loss.
2011 stats revealed that breast augmentation remains the top procedure in the US with 307,000 breast implant procedures performed last year - 4 percent rise since 2010. However body contouring procedures such as; upper arm lifts, body lifts, breast lifts and buttock lifts are becoming more desirable. Some of these procedures have increased in popularity by 600 percent in the last decade.
President of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) Dr Malcom Roth feels the rise in bariatric surgery has driven those who have lost a significant amount of weight to pursue surgery to remove their excess loose skin.
ASPS 2011 figures show that it’s not only body contouring surgery that saw a boom last year. In the US non surgical treatments increased by 6 percent, with nearly 12.2 million procedures undertaken in 2011.
The top five surgical procedures in 2011 were:
- Breast augmentation (307,000 procedures, up 4 percent)
- Nose reshaping (244,000 procedures, down 3 percent)
- Liposuction (205,000 procedures, up 1 percent)
- Eyelid surgery (196,000 procedures, down 6 percent)
- Facelift (119,000 procedures, up 5 percent)
How does the UK’s annual statistics compare to the US?
2011 Figures from the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) showed a rise of 5.8% from 2010 to a total of 43,069 and their order of popularity remained entirely unchanged. Breast augmentation (‘boob jobs’) maintained on top with a slow but constant growth of 6.2% from 9,418 to 10,003 in 2011.
However, the most impressive stats have been recorded in the weight loss category in male tummy tucks (abdominoplasty), which showed an increase of 15%.
Although on a much smaller scale the UK’s top five procedures table is very similar to the US:
- Breast augmentation (10,015 procedures, up 6.2 percent)
- Eyelid surgery (6,057 procedures, up 4.8 percent)
- Breast Reduction (5,291 procedures, up 6.7 percent)
- Face/Neck Lift (4,968 procedures, up 4.5 percent)
- Nose reshaping (4,518 procedures, up 7.4 percent)